Monday, October 1, 2012

Restoring the Old Milk Can

About 5 years ago, my Grandma Hursh was having a garage sale at her house in Watonga. She told Heather and I that we could take anything we wanted. At the end of the day, this old milk can had not sold. It was priced at $10.  I had to have it! I have a love for old things. I like how there is always a story to go with the antique. I took it home and spray painted it brown and put it in my backyard for several years. When I moved in with Brian, it sat on our front porch for about a year. I noticed it was becoming more rusty and leaving a nasty rust ring on our porch. So that's what led me to properly restore the old milk can. 

This is after a bit of sanding

Note the rust ate a few holes through the bottom

I wanted to see the words better so I brushed over them with a sponge and white paint. It reads "WRIGHT PRODUCE HOBART OKLA 45" I did some research on the internet but all I could find was that Wright Produce opened in 1924 in Hobart, Oklahoma and produced milk, butter, poultry and eggs. I'm not sure what the "20" on the top or the "45" refers to. My guess is that this is a 5 gallon can which equals 20 quarts and that it was produced in 1945. 

After more sanding and scrubbing with a rust removal product, I spray painted it with Rust-Oleum's Metallic Oil-Rubbed Bronze. Followed by a coat of clear protective spray. Then I added some felt on the bottom rim in hopes of preventing another rusty ring on the porch. 

While waiting on the paint to dry, I found this big mama. She' kind of cute in a way. Looks like she's smiling.

I added a burlap bow and some bright yellow mums in a red pot that fit perfectly into the can. I love it! Our porch is ready for fall!


Our complete fall porch. Bring on the trick-or-treaters!

No comments:

Post a Comment